RE: J-Type OD conversion pump cam clips

To: "Jay Snable" <jsnable@mac.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: J-Type OD conversion pump cam clips
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:27:35 -0800
        Jay:

        Interesting, because I had the exact same issue. Looking back, I
believe I did it wrong, and would do it differently (and will do it
differently if/when the tranny gets pulled next time).
        I was unable to resolve where the spring clip was fitted. The
circlip was easy, the spring clip was, well, not obvious. And you are
right, Bentley was no help. I asked my favorite LBC mechanic, and he had
never added an OD, and had none in the shop at the time, so he was
unclear on where it went.
        I now *think* that the spring clip is intended to fit INSIDE the
pump cam, between the cam and the mainshaft. Basically, it makes the
pump cam a press fit on to the mainshaft. The woodruff key will fit in
the keyway, the spring clip then fits on the mainshaft with its ends
"straddling" the key, and the pump cam is then pressed on over the
spring clip. The circlip is then snapped into place
to retain everything. WARNING: I have not tried this. I came to this
conclusion AFTER the car was back together.
        Why Laycock didn't just make the pump cam a press fit on the
main shaft in the first place is beyond me. Perhaps there were some
product rationalization issues. I just don't know.
        My solution at the time was to omit the spring clip entirely.
This makes the pump cam a somewhat sloppy fit on the mainshaft. My
thinking at the time was that the cam needed to "float" on the
mainshaft, but of course it was troubling that I could not determine
what the spring clip was for. At the time, I wasn't even certain about
the circlip. Bentley didn't help, and the Moss catalog I had at the
time didn't even show a circlip. I believed there had to be one, because
the pump cam would be free to move without one.
        I now wonder if/when the woodruff key will shear, rendering my
OD inoperative. So far, so good, but I think I will need to go back in
one more time to correct my error, if in fact it was an error.
        Let me know how this works. If nothing else you will help me
determine if I need to pull the tranny again.

        Cheers,

        Vance