RE: Keys

To: <SamuelsMA@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Keys
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:02:27 -0700
        Michael:

        The going rate locally is $25 a key if you do not have any key
to copy, but they can get the key code off the lock. It is $50 a key if
there is *NO* key code on the lock, and they must make a key from
"scratch" to fit the lock.
        The good news is that the trunk and glove box will use the same
key (assuming they have not been replaced at some point), and the door
locks have a key code stamped on them. There may be a key code on the
glove box lock, I don't remember.
        Anyway, remove the locks from the car and take them to the
locksmith. Tell him the make, year, and model, and be sure to tell him
that Triumph is a British Leyland name. Sometimes the key codes are
listed under British Leyland rather than Triumph. If the key code is
legible on the lock, it is a matter of looking up the punch codes in the
locksmith's master directory and voila, a new key. If there is no
legible code on the lock, then they do it the old fashioned way, and you
will need to leave the locks for a few days.
        A new glove box lock is $15, but that does not fix the trunk,
etc. It is about a break even deal in the long run to have the keys
made, or to replace the locks with new ones with new keys. The only
exception is the ignition lock, which is spendy, and it is definitely
easier to get a new key made. The key code was on a paper label on my
ignition lock, which time had rendered illegible so that I had to pay
the $50 for a good key. The key the DPO had given me was a copy of a
copy of a copy, and so sometimes would work, and sometimes would not.

        Vance