RE: Keys

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Keys
From: Peter Zaborski <plz@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:39:14 -0600

Here is a funny story with a good ending that I think might be relevant for
you. My TR6 is a very late one and I've had it since 1982. It's pretty
original in the sense that any mods were done by me as I see no evidence of
mods by the previous owner. Once a few years ago I decided to change from
the stock 76 front lights (all amber) to the 75 front lights (amber turn
signal and clear park light). The lenses are a straight swap.

So upon unscrewing the two screws on the driver side front lens, I make to
pop off the lens to switch it for the 75 one. I am careful to hold on to the
lens so as not to drop it in case it wants to fall to the floor and crack on
me. Well the lens stays in my hand but something else drops to the floor. I
am momentarily concerned that I have broken something I wasn't expecting to
be loose in there. But the concern is short lived as I discover that the
object which has fallen to the floor is none other than...a spare set of
original keys wrapped in masking tape!

I am not kidding. I unwrapped the tape and inspect two Wilmot Breeden keys
and one of another brand whose name escapes me at this time. The ignition
key has the original style plastic handle with the BL logo but unfortunately
part of the plastic is melted by the heat of the bulb. I tried all three
keys and yep, they are the right ones. I seem to recall hearing a while back
that the BL workers would put spare keys in odd locations but this little
find just blew me away.

Perhaps John Mac might shed a light on this. Try it yourself, maybe you'll
get lucky and find the same thing and solve your missing key problem with
minimal effort.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO