RE: 70-72 TR6 Seats was seat cover

To: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@yahoo.com>, "Six Pack"
Subject: RE: 70-72 TR6 Seats was seat cover
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:11:13 -0700
        Todd:

        Any good auto upholstery shop should be able to make one for
you. Matching the vinyl grain may be problematic however. My gripe about
this route is that my experience has been they do not want to do the
small jobs, and so they bid them like they do not want the business. I
wanted two snaps replaced and a tear repaired in my soft top when I
first bought the car; it was $150 when a new top (w/o stripes) could be
had for $200. Grrr. So catching a complete set of covers on sale at Moss
or TRF may be almost the same cost as having a lower seat recovered by
an upholsterer. Just my experience, mind you.
        I would suggest that you find a good shop and a least get a
quote. Share it with the list so that we can use it for future
reference.
        One other thought. Is the foam underneath in good shape? What
about the seat diaphragm? If the cover is gone, the underlying parts may
also be on their last legs. You should evaluate all of that before you
decide on a spot repair. Just a random thought.
        I completely redid my seats, foam, diaphragms, webbing, covers,
clips, etc for about $550 by catching 20% off sales. (Speaking of which,
British Auto Works is having another 20% off Moss sale starting Memorial
day weekend, and free shipping. "Honeeeeey! Where's the checkbook?")
This was almost 3 years ago now, and with the pounding the dollar has
taken, I think you can easily add 20% to that number, more if you don't
wait for a sale.
        Sorry for the blathering. Ahem. Let us know what you find.

        Cheers,

        Vance