Trickle Discharger

To: 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trickle Discharger
From: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:34:27 -0700 (PDT)
Hey Team,

I'm trying to track down an electrical gremlin, maybe one of you can help me
out. The battery goes dead on my 1974 1/2 TR6 if I don't drive it everyday.

I measured the current at the negative battery post with the ignition switch
off and I saw 320mA. (That's 4 Watts yikes!)

Ok, so the current is flowing somewhere, I pulled all the fuses at the fuse
block and still saw 320mA of current flowing with the key off. Took a look at
whats connected directly to the battery, looks like starter, headlights switch,
and alternator.

I disconnected the alternator plugs. And the current draw with the key off
dropped to 6mA. I reconnected the plug with the large brown wire and the small
brown/yellow. And the current bumped up to 9mA. There is another brown wire
that is smaller that has it's own connection -- when I connect this smaller
brown wire by itself the current jumps back up to around 290mA!

When the key is turned to the "on" position the "IGN" light glows brightly.
When the car starts up, the light goes out as expected. Running voltage is
14.0V

Is this smaller wire that goes into the alternator by itself the "sensing"
input for the regulator? Possibly a damaged regulator in the alt? Everything
seems to be running normally, except for the discharge current with the battery
off.

I left my headlights on all day at work recently, and had to jump start the car
to get home. Maybe I messed something up recharging the dead battery from the
alternator?

Any other tests to suggest?

Kendall
San Clemente, CA