Re: Trickle Discharger

To: "Kendall Larsen" <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Trickle Discharger
From: "Jeff Fetner" <fetnerj001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:50:10 -1000
Hi Kendall,

  I just rebuilt a "5-wire" 17ACR alternator to replace the alternator on my
74 TR6 (I got some parts off eBay cheap).  The original 18ACR alternator I
took out has the same connections your describe.  I noticed the IGN light
was glowing at night, which I think is a bad diode.

  Anyway, the separate small brown wire connects to the regulator to provide
a battery reference voltage.   Later 18ACR units apparently used regulators
that didn't need that connection as it done internally.  (see page 494 in
the Bentley TR6 manual).  According to the diagram, the regulator connects
that to ground through 2 resistors (and decides how much to charge the
battery, I guess).  I measured the resistance from that connection on my
18ACR alternator and got about 3000 ohms.  This works out to .004 amps or
.05 watts, so there is some drain on the battery.  But it's about the same
as a digital clock and nowhere near the 4 watts you got.

  I don't know any more about alternator working than what I learned putting
the other one together (which took 2 tries) so hopefully someone with real
knowledge will help.  I'd say the regulator is faulty if the current flow is
through the small brown wire.  What is the resistance to ground through that
post on the alternator?

Jeff
CF13816U