RE: TR6 Steering Column Help

To: <acekraut11@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Steering Column Help
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:31:14 -0400
Aaron, I have done this several times and I don't see an easy way to
proceed without taking the steering column out. You can do a partial fix
by cutting the ears off the upper bush and pushing a new bush in from
the top but to do the job right the steering column has to be removed.

The inner column is held captive by the upper and lower bushes. There is
a bump in the middle of the inner column that limits it travel but you
can use to your advantage to drift out the bushes once you have the unit
out of the car.

I advise securing the upper part of the column that holds the switches
to the alu tube of the outer column with several layers of electrical
tape because it is just crimped on and while you are manhandling this
thing there is a tendency for the upper part to become loose and rotate
and I don't know of any way to fix that so it is best to discourage it
from moving.

Removing the ignition switch is no big deal especially if you don't have
the sheared bolts - stupid idea number 27 in the TR6 design. Even with
the sheared bolts it is do-able, just more tedious.

Just make careful note of how things are layered. There are several
layers of brackets and felt and torque bars that need to go back in the
right order.

If your bushes are knackered, this is a great remedy and doesn't cost a
lot.

Stan