Re: TR6 Steering Column Help

To: stan.foster@hp.com, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Steering Column Help
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:56:24 -0400
Stan,

Thanks for the reply.  I suspect I have done what you advise not to do,
which is:

"while you are manhandling this
thing there is a tendency for the upper part to become loose and rotate
and I don't know of any way to fix that"

At this point the next step will be to remove the whole column and work
on it outside the car.  Unfortunately, my car does have the sheer
bolts.  I guess Triumph was afraid the car might be stolen?  I have
read the description in Bentley of how to remove these, which was to
use a small chisel to remove the sheer bolts which sounds like sheer
nonsense since you would have to be doing the work through the tach
opening.  Certainly not much room for that.  If that doesnt work they
want you to drill the bolts out.  Not sure how you are supposed to do
that under the dash.  Any brilliant, simple suggestions.

I am hopeful that whatever I have done to this point can be corrected
without too much problem.  Thanks for your assistance.

Aaron

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
http://www.triumphowners.com/108