TR6 Steering Column Help

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Steering Column Help
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:55:11 -0400
Hi List,

Tonight I decided to tackle replacing the felt and bushes on my
steering column.  I have been having an unintentional horn problem and
a little slop in the steering wheel and felt this was a good place to
start.  I did my homework by reading up in the Bentley and Haynes
manual about the procedure and bravely ventured forward.  I managed to
get so far as having removed the speedo, tach, all the various bolts
holding the steering column in the car as well as removing the steering
wheel, turn and light switches and thus ends the successful portion of
this saga.

I read in the Bentley manual with great trepidation about having to
remove the ignition switch from the column and was hopeful that I
wouldnt have to tackle that task and that I might be able to replace
the bushes without that effort.  It looks like I might be able to do
just that but for the life of me I cannot get the inner part of the
upper steering column to seperate from the outer portion of the
steering column.

I have deliberately tried to be succinct in my description, possibly
leaving out necessary details.  I am hopeful that I have provided
enough of a description for those of you who have been there and done
that.  I am also hopeful that removing the ignition switch wont be
necessary.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)