Re: TR6 leak at clutch slave cylinder?

To: levilevi@attbi.com, rsh17@msn.com, triumphs
Subject: Re: TR6 leak at clutch slave cylinder?
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:34:13 -0700
Richard and Bud

My two cents but I just had my clutch MC sent to Apple Hydraulics for a
resleeving job (~$40).  According to them, the aluminum MC, new or
otherwise, is usually responsible for the dark fluid.  BTW using a hone
on the clutch MC will ruin it because of a coating that is applied to
the inside of the MC at manufacture.  The hone will remove the coating
and score the aluminum, according to Apple.  After that the slave may
hold for a few weeks but will leak again.

Still sounds like a slave problem to me.  If your MC was leaking, I
think it will will leak inside the car.  The slave should be nice and
shiny, no ridges or grooves.  The slave is steel so you can hone it, but
I believe you do not want to make a cross-hatch by running the hone in
and out quickly.  Move the hone slowly while spinning to minimize
cross-hatch.

John Lumia
76 TR6

Richard wrote:>
- -The fluid usually gets dark because of contamination (deteriorating
seals or
moisture). This could be either the slave or master.
- -When rebuilding hydraulics, you will need a cylinder hone, available
at any
parts store. make sure you hone all the pits and scratches out of the
bore.

Bud wrote:>>
The fluif is leaking out at the clutch slave cylinder but am I convinced

that's the source of the problem?  No.  Do I know that it's a problem
somewhere else? Again, no.  My question to the collective is: could the
clutch
MC be the problem given that there was a lot of black looking gunk in
the
bottom of it that suggests seals disintegrating?  Would the MC not
holding
fluif cause fluif to leak out the slave?  Or possibly both had the same
deteriorating seals at the same moment in time?  This is mostly a
curiosity
question since I ordered the kits to rebuild both...but I'm just
wondering????????