Re: Frame interior rust proofing

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Frame interior rust proofing
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:05:48 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Don Malling wrote:

> List,
>
> I've gone from a frame on to a frame off restoration of my TR250.
>
> My frame is solid but scaly in places.
>
> No one seems to talk about how to clean the frame interior or what to do
> about it. I'm sure there is dust and dirt in it, but how to clean it
> out, and what to use for rust prevention?

I hung mine from an industrial crane and "bobbed" it up and down for 30
minutes. I was amazed at the crap that came out (including mouse nests!).

I then used high pressure compressed air to blow more crap out.

> If I can't clean it out, then it would seem that I need something very
> runny that will soak through the dust and dirt and get at the rust and
> into all the corners. I don't come up with anything other spraying motor
> oil into it, and I have accepted that I will have to reapply it every
> year or so.
>
> Any ideas where I could get some kind of wand several feet long that
> would spray in a hemi-spherical pattern and that I could use to spray
> motor oil into the frame interior?

Use Waxoyl. They have industrial jets that will do an awesome job of
getting into every nook and cranny. This is much better than oil which
will tend to run out...

> Any other (better) ideas on how to treat the frame interior?

Find a shop that is a Waxoyl distributor. They shold have all the gizmos
to do the job right.

Note: the "kits" that you get from Waxoyl will work, but the ones that use
compressed air are much better.

> Thanks,
>
> Don Malling

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |