Re: Moss electric fuel pump

To: Jay Snable <jsnable@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Moss electric fuel pump
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:59:47 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Jay Snable wrote:

> I am considering changing over to an electric fuel pump and was
> wondering if anyone had experience with the one sold by Moss (and
> others I am sure). I am especially interested in the pressure output of
> the pumps as I have some Weber DGVs which require 3 psi or less.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

The "solid state" fuel pump that many sell is made by Facet and resold
under a lot of brand names, Purolator is one brand name. This is the thing
that looks kind of like an electronic transformer...

These units are available in several configurations, but what you want is
either the one that produces 3-4 pounds with NPT tapped fitting holes
(you'll need a couple of barbed hose - NPT adapters) OR the same pressure
range with the AN6 fittings (if you you intend to plumb with AN lines).

You then need a "regulator" that is available from the same sources.

I've purchased these from Racer Parts Wholesale, Pegasus and a local NAPA
dealer. Figure $30 for the pump and another $25 or so for the regulator.

Note: if you go electric, you should devote some thought to an "impact
shutoff", if you want to insure that pump stops pumping if you have an
accident. These are also available from regular sources listed but can be
obtained from certain Ford products at the local auto salvage yard for
less $$$. I have no part numbers or models to offer on the topic.
Nevertheless, the impact switch is a good idea.

Good luck!
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |