Re: Weber Carbs and EFI

To: James Franks <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Weber Carbs and EFI
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:28:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, James Franks wrote:

> I just got my Megasquirt EFI kit in the mail last week. I also got a
> wideband O2 kit to use to tune with. I have lots of good ideas (maybe just
> lots of ideas) and just need time to play. I may get to it next spring,
> depending on how my hotrod project progresses. I'd like to get the motor
> mounted and rear suspension done before I go to work on my 'normal' TR250.

Fuel injection... argh, arGh, ARGH.

:-)

> BTW.... I got a ride in Dale Knapke's awesome 2.3 liter 4 cyl turbo TR6 last
> week. What a hoot that was! He really can bang thru the gears in that thing.
> You never will meet a nicer guy. We yakked for a couple of hours, and I took
> pictures of his 4-link 9" Ford rear setup. I got a lot of ideas, and a whole
> new enthusiasm for my own project. It's nice to have a resource like Dale to
> draw on. He really has done a first class job on his conversion. I didn't
> even mind the 4 hour drive going back home! Many thanks to the List for
> alerting me to the existence of Dale and his car.

Sounds like you had fun. Kool.

> I'm still thinking of trying to build a double wishbone independent rear
> setup based on  Ford Supercoupe rearend, axles and hubs that I have. It
> would be neat to have my car be a bit more of a 'corner-carver' than Dale's
> drag car is, but setting up the geometry has me a bit nervous. Can anyone
> suggest what kind of specs I should set up around? Anti-dive, caster,
> camber, toe? I have read a couple of books, including "How to make your car
> handle", but I'm thinking of just copying a production car with a similar
> setup,,,, say Miata specs for starters, and making everything as adjustable
> as possible. Anyone? Bob?

My fantasy rear TR6 setup would be to transplant the entire rear
suspension from a TRV 2500. It's a double a-arm setup, so you get little
or no camber change over the suspension movement. This is a big
improvement over the semi-trailing arm TR6 stock setup! And the neat thing
is that other than the a-arms and the upright, everything else is Triumph!

Of course if you want to get rid of the Triumph stuff, I'd look at
transplanting a Ford 8.8" setup. This option gives you access to different
gears and differ ent center sections (e.g. Detroit Lockers or other types
of limit slip rears.)

> Does anyone know of a reasonably inexpensive suspension design software that
> would work to help design this thing?

There is software out there. None of it is cheap, to the best of my
knowledge.

> Jim

Oh well. Back to sleep!

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |