SU carbs

To: "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU carbs
From: "Rex Townsend" <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:52:47 -0700
Regarding Joe Davis's query about SU HIF6 carbs, I wouldn't mess with these
particular SU's.  These are smog regulated carbs, much as our familiar
Zenith-Strombergs are.  The model number stands for Horizontal, Integral
Float.  They feature, among other things, gasoline viscosity regulated
mixture control as an attempt to control the richening effect of higher
underhood temperatures.  IMHO, if you want to consider swapping your Z-S
carbs for SU carbs, go for the simple non-smog carbs such as the HS6 types.
The HS6's will be simple to set up and more reliable in the long run.  I
would rebuild the Strombergs before I would switch to HIF6's.

Rex Townsend
Bainbridge Island, WA (cold & foggy today - like olde England!)