Re: Weber Carbs and EFI

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber Carbs and EFI
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:28:56 -0700
James,

I have a book called "Car Suspension and Handling" by Donald Barstow,
published in 1980 by Pentech Press, Ltd. of Plymouth, Devon, England.  There
are lots of equations and some of it was sleep inducing (at least for me),
however, one of the lasting impressions I gained is that a well located live
rear axle is only bested by a very well designed and executed independent or
de Dion setup.  I imagine the books you read conveyed the tremendous number
of interactive variables involved.  Having said that, making it work and
standing back to look at your creation would be cool.

I remember when Triumph introduced the TR4A-IRS and the magazine road
testers weren't convinced the IRS setup was better than, or even as good as,
the live-axle model.  It seems to me the impression was that the ride
quality with IRS was different (but not necessarily better due to the very
limited amount of rebound travel inherent in the cobbled TR4-IRS design),
and that one of the prime benefits of IRS, improved adhesion on rough
surfaces, was negated due to the bump steer effects.  It took me awhile to
get used to the feel of my TR6's handling at the limit, especially at high
speeds, largely I think due to the bump steer effect of the IRS.  I used to
have a Healey 3000 that was very predictable and chuckable, very free of
vices, fun to drift, and it had, of course, a live rear axle.  It didn't
much like bumps in corners, but there were no noticeable rear-end steering
effects.  Do any listers have experience with TR4s with and without IRS?

Gary
'73 CF10801U