RE: SU HIF6 carbs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SU HIF6 carbs
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:17:31 -0500
personally, I think an old carb is an old carb, so anything you buy off
E-Bay is also going to be a roll of the dice (ie worn throttle shafts).

Personally, if I was going to convert to SUs, I'd buy brand new ones. But,
IMHO, once you get the Zeniths rebuilt and rebushed, I think they're pretty
reliable.

Today's carburetor trivia: One of the cars credited with killing off the TR6
was Datsun's new 240Z. It was a great car, but criticized in its first year
for weird backfiring and sometimes jerky accelerator. Its carburetors were
... Zenith Strombergs (not sure if they were the real thing from England or
built under license.)

Graham