Leather Pinion Seal Orientation

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'"
Subject: Leather Pinion Seal Orientation
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:55:04 -0400
Hello. I just received my new differential pinion seal from BPNW.
(Originally ordered from TRF. Was told they had just received some. About a
week later found out they were backordered.) This is a leather seal. The
seal surface is bevelled. The circular spring is on the wider side (narrower
ID) of the bevel.

Question: Which way does the seal go in? From what I can tell on the badly
damaged old seal, the spring/wider/narrower ID side of the seal goes toward
the inside of the diff case. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Hugh Fader