Re:Leather Pinion Seal Orientation

To: "'hfader@usa.net'" <hfader@usa.net>,
Subject: Re:Leather Pinion Seal Orientation
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:28:27 -0600
Hugh, the flat face of the seal should be mounted so it faces outward.
|_____|  In this cross-sectional view the bottom faces outward of the
diff case.  Be sure you clean up the shaft with emery cloth before
installing the seal otherwise it may leak again.  Also if you have a
later diff (the kind with the locking nut, not the castellated nut),
then I believe you have to be careful not to overtighten the nut since
there is a crush washer controlling the pinion bearing preload.

John - 1976 TR6 engine out for rebuild and engine bay respray

Hugh wrote:>
Question: Which way does the seal go in? From what I can tell on the
badly
damaged old seal, the spring/wider/narrower ID side of the seal goes
toward
the inside of the diff case. Is that correct?