Re: Leather Pinion Seal Orientation

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leather Pinion Seal Orientation
From: "GREG DONEGAN" <tr6greg@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:12:05 -0400
Ryan, my dad told me of a technique he used to use for the cars of the '40's
and 50's that used leather/rawhide oil seals, and that was to soak them in
motor oil or whatever the fluid was that they would be used in, and then upon
installation, gently wipe off the excess fluid and then put a good film of
wheel bearing grease on the "running side" of the seal.  I tried it on my
pinion seal, and it works just fine, after replacing a couple due to leakage,
I now have had no leaks in 8k miles...of course, these old rawhide seals don't
hold a candle to a good, modern day Garlock type lip seal, but, then again,
it's the challenge!

Greg Donegan
72 TR6  CC82492U
Hebron, KY