Re: TRF headers [was "Magic Clutch" Kit by TRF]

To: Brian Finck <brian.finck@powerhouse.ca>
Subject: Re: TRF headers [was "Magic Clutch" Kit by TRF]
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 16:03:11 -0400
Brian,

I expect that Bob Lang will disagree with me (and Bob does know his stuff),
but "Kas" Kastener does advise that the stock header is "good enough" except
for the very dedicated track racer.  Most people do not rev their TR6 motor
above 5,000 rpm, so I do not think you will see any difference at all with
headers (though it WILL sound better, which translates into more
smiles-per-hour!).

In an earlier email, Bob suggests that a stock motor, sans mechanical fan
and headers, could gain an increase of 16 hp.  I figure that 1 hp for the
TR6 motor costs $100, so to get 16 hp, you would need to spend $1600, which
is clearly a lot more than a header and electrical fan alone.

My stock motor with K&N filters, electronic ignition, rebuilt and re-bushed
carbs (which ran a near-perfect A/F ratio profile), open-exhaust and no
mechanical fan, pulled 91 rwhp on the dyno  (please see
http://triumph.hottr6.com/tr6dyno.html for details).

Cheers,

Shane Ingate in Maryland