RE: TR-6 Speedometer for OD Tranny

To: "'Patrick Bitton '" <pbitton@axess.com>,
Subject: RE: TR-6 Speedometer for OD Tranny
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 01:09:43 -0400
Patrick:

Use the road speed calculator at the Buckeye site to figure out the real
speed vs. measured.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Calculator/road_speed_vs_engine_speed_calcu.htm

This will at least tell you if the error you are seeing corresponds to the
ratio given by 1000/1120. If so then perhaps this is the right thing. Two
things strike me about your data.
1 - the ratio of 1000/1120 is nothing like 30/50 kph.
2 - I changed from a standard transmission to an A-type O/D unit without
changing the speedometer at all and my reading is perfectly fine.

Are you absolutely sure that your overdrive came from a Triumph? The Laycock
units were fitted to many different cars. Perhaps yours came from a
different machine where the speedometer gearing was setup for a different
differential or tire height.

Cheers,

Mark Hooper
72 TR6