RE: Speedometer Problems

To: "Wiseman, Kevin [MMI/BOU]" <KEVINW@micromotion.com>,
Subject: RE: Speedometer Problems
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:34:01 -0400
Kevin,

A speedometer repair may or may not be the only issue here.  From your
description, it appears to me that you might have more than one issue,
all different, but related.  First off, has this condition just started
or has it exhisted since you bought the car?

>From an operation standpoint, I believe the Service Meter box is merely
a pass through device, meaning the input speed is the same as its output
speed.  That said, the odometer on this car is gear driven directly from
the cable input.

Therefore, if you problem has always existed and if you are truly
registering a mile traversed in less than an actual mile travelled, then
there 3 possible culprets: an incorrect speedometer drive gear in the
tranny for the differerential final drive gear set that you have; an
incorrect speedometer for the tranny/diffy gearing; and/or rear tire
size with their diameters significantly less than stock.  If you try the
search engine at this address, you ought to be able to search the gear
topics and find how to identify what you have.

http://thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/osearch.php3

Alternatively, someone on this list might to be able to advise you how
to verify the gearing and the speedo type.  As for tires, what size do
you own?

If the problem just occurred, then a repair is possibly in order and I
see you have a reference for repair.  It might be that the needle has
rotated on its shaft.  How fast in reverse did you spin it?  There's an
excellent article on speedo repairs available under the maintenance
section of the VTR website.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck,
Gary