TR6 ZS to PI Conversion complete and running ...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 ZS to PI Conversion complete and running ...
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:31:15 -0400
After a 2 month installation period when everything that could go wrong
usually did, I am delighted to be able to say that I have tasted the fruits
of my labours: the Lucas PI conversion is now complete, and running like a
dream.  My 72 US-spec car is now wearing the full PI-system, with a Bosch
pump feeding the fuel.

The first thing you notice is the idle: although not wineglass-on-rocker
cover, it is very smooth at 700rpm, and varies by only a 30-50rpm.  The low
speed pull is extraordinary: no bogging down in any gear ... it just grunts
more and does the job ... and the top end, it zooms way past 4500rpm where
it used to slow.   The oddest thing is that the car smells different ...
there is not tang of rich running at all ... and backing it into the
garage, it smells like the mixture is, well, like it is right ... weird, eh!

Without the Triumph and 6Pack lists, I know that I would not have started
(let alone finished) this quest, so I wanted to pass on a collective "thank
you" to all that have helped (or suffered through having to delete my
interminable requests for help).

If anyone else is contemplating such a conversion -- the extra power is
noticable (about a second quicker to 60mph, and you can really chirp the
tires in second), but the so is the pain.  Drop me a line for further info
on how to avoid my mistakes.  I should add that my reply will represent the
collective wisdom of about 20 PI enthusiasts out there who have shared so
much with me that I feel beholden to pass on this wonderful advice.

Now to the next autocross ... pity that I can already feel the clutch
beginning to say NOoooooo!

Tony
72 TR6 (ex-CC79849, now CP)