Re: brake light failure

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake light failure
From: Grego Sanguinetti <grego@accelerant.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 10:29:37 -0700
--------------A57763B06CE325686C7BAE6E

> If the lights don't work when you connect the G and the G/P wires together,
> you have a wiring problem. First, test for 12 volts on the Green wire (with
> the key on). If you don't have 12 volts here, check the green wiring from the
> fuse to the switch, looking for breaks or bad connections. If you do have 12
> volts, then there is a break or a bad connection in the G/P wire from the
> switch to the rear of the car.

when I got to this stage, a while ago, i found that I had a bad ground
connection at the rear lights.
Actually I lost all of my rear lights one night, like all at once! I figured
it was a problem with the wiring loom. As luck would have it, it turned
out to be a massive simultaneous failure of some really poorly designed
Lucas components. The ground was bad, that should have been a bolted
connection. Then a number of lights just were no longer getting juice
through their silly contacts and the silvered plastic crap. Very screwy
design on those bulb reflectors. oh the brake switch was bad too.
Pretty wierd that they all failed since I had checked all the lights
a few nights before and everything worked! I must have hit a good
bump or something....

> Generally, in spite of a bad rap, Lucas components are actually quite good.

At this, I choose to dissagree
But hey, it's part of the character right? :)

By the way, anyone that owns a TR6 MUST have Dan's electrical
manual.  Even if you are and old fart electrical engineer like me!
He really did an excellent job.

-grego

--------------A57763B06CE325686C7BAE6E
 name="grego.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Sanguinetti;Grego
tel;fax:503.466.9472
tel;work:503.466.9231 x38
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:;CAD/Methodology/I.S.
adr:;;15268 NW Greenbier Pkwy;Beaverton;OR;97006;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:grego@accelerant.net
title:Dir. Design Integration
x-mozilla-cpt:;30752