2000-register

Re: Fw: Headlights

To: 2000 Register <2000-register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Headlights
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:39:08 +0100 (MET)
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, you wrote:

> 1. My 2500TC has 75 watt main beam (inner) light units which I am told were
> police car spec.   Given that they are likely to die sooner or later does
> anyone kmow whether they are still available new or where I might get used
> units from?

If you are looking for exact same spec for Concours, then sorry I can't
help you.

But if your are looking for similar performance, I'm sure the Cibie
Halogen main beam units that Chris Witor sells would be perfect
replacements. I've had this units for a number of years, and their
light flow is very satisfactory.

Speaking of lights, the most worthwhile improvement one can do is to
install relays and proper grounding for the main and dipped beams. Using
high quality relay units, this will in fact also improve the reliability
of the system as well as the light output. This is due to the fact that
the standard light switch, as it gets old and worn, will not be able to
withstand the high current. I've had my light switch fail once, and that
is just one time too many, thank you very much.

> 2. I have been trying to set up my headlight beams but the Leyland workshop
> manual only gives the method of alignment which requires special beam
> setting equipment.   Using an ancient car mechanics book method I have set
> up the main beam unit beams to be parallel, straight ahead and horizontal
> with the dipping (outer) units the same when on main beam setting.   Does
> anyone know if this is more or less correct?

Main beams should be set up to give as good light as possible, really.
Straight ahead and parallel sounds fine.

For amateur use, I find it easiest and most accurate to set up the lights
on a deserted and straight piece of road during a dark night. Mask the
lights (on the MkII by fixing some cardboard to the chrome grille
surround, for instance) so that only light unit shines at a time.

The dipped beam should be set up so that the horizontal line *just*
disappears. Any main-only beams should be set up to illuminate the road
as far away as possible.

Ideally, you should have someone sitting in the drivers seat when you do
these adjustments.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway