Re: RHD

To: <Erichreich@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RHD
From: "Carl Braun" <clbraun@mwci.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:32:17 -0600
I don't think you should let RHD versus LHD influence your decision about
the purchase of a racecar, although I understand your concern about RHD in
racing conditions.  You can get used to it rather quickly.

About 5 years ago I bought a RHD street mini.  I was concerned about
shifting on the street but found it wasn't a problem at all, from day one.
Still, I reasoned, it might be a difficulty under racing conditions.
Therefore, I decided to enroll in a driving school with the mini.  At the
driving school I never once thought about shifting gears with my left hand
... possibly because the brakes were so bad.  Bill Thompson was my
instructor and I remember the look on his face the first time I pressed on
the brakes (it was certainly the brakes and not Bill riding shotgun in the
left seat).

Back to the question.  Last year I started racing a RHD sports racer.  This
was not a problem which slowed me down or made me less safe in any way;
shift, mirror, sitting on the RH side, none of that.   I find it is ease to
is true.  I do think at first it might take a couple of events to make the
adjustment.  If you like a particular RHD race car ... my suggestion is to
buy it!