RE: RHD

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: RHD
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:31:34 -0800
My first experience driving a RHD car was in England about 17 years ago. The
biggest problem I had was learning how to proceed through the round abouts.
The first few times I entered I would look to the left and then drive into
it. Well as you can guess I was almost creamed by a driver already inside
the circle and approaching from my right. The fellow followed me until I
pulled over. He then yelled at me "You bloody imbecile, you are support to
give way in a round about". So I figured out very quickly to look right
before entering.

I started racing a RHD Lotus last summer and had no such problems. At least
with my helmet on I really can't tell if anyone is yelling at me. Also no
problem getting used to  shifting with my left hand.

Phil Roettjer
53 Lotus 6