Re: CSRG at Sears Point

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CSRG at Sears Point
From: Tom M <tmatycho@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:38:03 -0800

MHKitchen@aol.com wrote:
<snip>
> I still believe its going to take
> some strong action to bring some of these guys back to reality.  Its my
> opinion that if you have or cause contact in a vintage race, you need at
> least 6 months off to think about it.  The CSRG board often would not take
> such measures, or if they did, would rescind them when the offending driver
> would come crying to them with some lame excuse.  I think it should be made
> abundantly clear up front....crash, or hit somebody or something and you're
> going to be out for a while...then there should be no crying or questions
> when they tell you put it on the trailer.  And, it just might cause you to
> rethink those last-minute, dive into the apex passes, or give that rookie
> just a little more track as you go by.
<snip>

I think that if there were a more uniform administration of summary
penalties on the spot, i.e. being black flag and made in two sit in the
black flight station for two minutes while one's transgression was
explained thoroughly, it would go a long way toward discouraging overly
aggressive behavior.  We've been reminded several times at drivers
meanings about the eight pages of black flight incidents reported at the
spring, 1999, event.  I'm guessing that only a small percentage of those
incidents resulted in the offending driver being immediately black
flagged.

One thing that we know about consequences is that they work best the
nearer to the offense that they are imposed.  The longer one waits, the
more severe the consequence needs to be to have an effect.  If, as is
said, the principal cause of incidents is overly aggressive driving by
experienced drivers, then all observed incidents of such behavior should
be immediately be dealt with even though no contact occurred.  If one or
to lose a lap, whether in practice or in an actual race, as a result of
of a bonzai pass, dropping the wheel, passing under yellow, etc., it
would communicate in both to the offender and to all other drivers that
the organization is serious.

Tom M
Elva Courier #43