Re: Vintage Racer: what car to buy?

To: Jim Froula <stingray@foxinternet.net>,
Subject: Re: Vintage Racer: what car to buy?
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:13:51 -0800
Jim,

I'm surprised you and Myles seem to have ended up on opposite sides of
this. Myles is usually the one grousing about how the chunky little
sedans get no respect. ;=) It will vary greatly from club to club. It
just so happens that several clubs have cutoff dates for production
cars that fall before 1968. Myles and I race with CSRG, which has a
cutoff of 1967. It used to be 1965, same as HMSA. If and when CSRG moves
the cutoff date to 1972 or so, I guarantee you there will be Datsun 510s
showing up. We have a butt-ugly, horrible-sounding SAAB that shows up,
so a nicely turned out 510 would be an improvement. ;=)

The thing about cutoff dates has been raised before. What many of the
vintage racing clubs are trying to create is a snapshot in time of what
many consider to be the Golden Age of Motor Racing, which they think
falls between 1950 and 1965. This was an age when privateers and home
built specials actually stood a chance. This was the time when people
actually did drive to the track and compete for money in the family car.
After this time period, the big money interests relegated all that to a
sideshow in the amateur ranks. There will always be cars that are
considered "not quite vintage". Standards vary.

I for one, would love to see an under 2 liter challenge for true, historic
Trans-Am cars like the BRE Datsuns and the Alfas. I'm afraid there just
aren't enough of them available like the big bore cars.