Re: Mille Miglia

To: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: Mille Miglia
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:22:55 PDT
I don't mean to sound totally negative on this.  I just think is it a
pretty inappropriate use of this type of car.  What about the Pike's
Peak type of open wheel car?  Why not Dune Buggies?  A border to border
T/D rally in a set of identically prepared Dune Buggies with a few
off-road stages would be a blast.

> >2) These cars are also not designed with lots of ground clearance or
> >suspension travel.  Running them on public roads would be downright
> >dangerous to the participants.
>
> Clearance is easy to solve.  My FA with high profile treaded tires could
> have ground clearance of 4" without even tampering with the suspension.

It's not only the clearance.  What about normal road hazards?  Potholes,
dips, bumps, deer, etc?  How about those jumbo Texas Armadillos that
reportedly leap 2-3 feet in the air at the sight of a car?  That would
put them just about at eye level.  Raising the car by changing tire
diameter also affects the suspension geometry even without any other
adjustments.  All the modern aerodynamic devices would probably have to
be removed for safety.  They wouldn't be in the right position anymore.

> >4) Formula cars are not the most comfortable steeds.  Even at reduced
> >speeds, it would be nuts to run this in anything but full Nomex.

> I would say 150 miles a day.  Maybe in two 75 mile stages.  As with
> ballon races all cars would have a chase car with fuel and a trailer.

I still think this would give you and the car a terrible pounding.
The attrition on such an event could well approach 100%.

> >5) How are you supposed to do a T/D rally that depends on accuracy
> >without a navigator?  ... speedo?
>
> Adding a speedo to my car would not be too bad (could be mounted above
> the cowling)and a watch in the center of the wheel would complete the
> instrumentation.

Hey, you could get one of those goofy clocks off the TC by Maserati.
;=) Just kidding.  The real problem is mapping the progress, and staying
on the course.  One of the biggest duties the navigator performs is
telling the driver when to slow down so as not to arrive too soon.  All
road intersections would probably have to be blocked off, or marked with
cones to make staying on course easier.  Isn't following the map and
knowing when to turn supposed to be part of a T/D rally?  Closing off
the entire course would take too much of the Human element of error out
of it.

> >Admittedly, you said we could run this in stages, but ...

> I didn't say it would be easy.  I am an endurance racer by nature
> (airplanes and yachts) My wife doesnt understand when I say I would
> rather drive from Austin to San Diego (1400 miles) than fly in an
> airliner.  I can make the first 1000 miles in the first day and I finish
> it off the second day into San Diego by 2 PM.  I love it and I am not
> tired.  Admitedly 1000 miles in one day in Nomex would be suicide and
> the suspension would probably kill you before the heat did.

Bingo.

> But, its my nature, however, I take it not yours.

Actually, I've done a number of cross country road trips.  I know what
it's like to cover 1000 miles in a day.  How about 2400 miles in 52
hours?  (2 drivers) How about 7000 miles in 9 days?  (5 drivers) I also
know what it's like to suffer the back pain afterwards.  The formula car
semi-reclining position, and the pounding from such a stiff suspension
would really be a recipe for serious pain.  Make sure there's a hot tub
at each stage end.  ;=)

OK, lets jack the car up 3-4 inches, put in a seat with decent back
support, run street tires, put on a roll cage for the insurer's sake,
increase suspension travel and soften it up a bit, strip off the wings
and engine covers...  Hey!  it's really starting to look like a Dune
Buggy!  ;=)

Actually, I've seen a car that would be ideal for this sort of thing.
It was a monster tube frame thing with a front-mounted V-8 and treaded
tires.  It ran on road courses in a time trial event I did.  It had
about a foot of ground clearance.  They called it a Dune Buggy, but I
have no idea if that's what it was built for.  In spite of not having
any bodywork, it was pretty fast.  It looked like something out of Mad
Max.

> >Unfortunately, the days of the mad dash across unrestricted roads may be
> >long gone.

> I agree.  There may be insanity at taking your life into your own hands,
> but it is your life and you have that right.

Tell that to the insurance carrier for this event.

> With the new "no speed limit" in Wyoming I think it goes on every day
> now.

Actually, they will cite you for doing more than what they consider a
"reasonable" speed.  They just don't use numbers and signs to determine
the limits.  You can maintain a pretty high "reasonable" speed, tho. ;=)

> >A speed dash could be done
> >with formula cars on a suitably prepared road, but otherwise I just
> >don't think this is a good idea.

> Again I dont think it would be an easy race, but then nothing worth
> while is ever easy.

Well, OK, let's see.  We have Montana covered.  Nevada is probably game
as long as they can get it on the Sports Book, who else needs
convincing?  ;=) Who could we get to sanction it?  The SCCA would
probably not want any part of it.  Perhaps the Southern California
Timing Assn.  They are more into lakesters, tho.  How about the WOO
cars?  We'd have to make them give up their wings and take out all that
stagger.  SCTA is an interesting possibility.  We'd have to do one high
speed section at Bonneville.  Perhaps a bracket type of race.  Predict
your speed on the flying mile and then nail it to win.