Re: [TR] Oil filter canister

To: jmitch@snet.net, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Oil filter canister
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:10:51 EDT
In a message dated 10/1/2006 7:29:34 PM Central Standard Time,
jmitch@snet.net writes:
>    I'm having trouble getting the oil canister to seal(river of oil
> under car) after I changed the oil.  I've only got one rubber ring but
> the canister doesn't seem to be pulling in tight enough to crush it.
> Does the little star thing on the bolt go inside the filter or just
> press against one side.  I really should know this stuff by now.   John
> 76 TR6

It is easy enough not to get the canister into the groove where the ring
rides.  When this happens the end of the canister clamps tightly against the
filter head and all feels right until the car is started and it pukes oil
everywhere.  The trick I use is to tighten the bolt until it starts to bind
then I
loosen it just enough to leave the canister loose.  Then I push up on it and
move
it about looking for the groove.  If it is already in the groove I won't find
it.  But if it is not in the groove I will find it.  Then I continue to hold
it in the groove and run the bolt up.

Good luck

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org