Strange Oil Leak

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strange Oil Leak
From: "Jerry Greenberg" <jerrygreenberg@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 02:15:29 -0600
I've been a lurker on this list for a long time and appreciate the
knowledge and wisdom imparted, but now I have an oil leak problem that
I think I've figured out but don't understand.

I replaced the rockers on my 1976 TR6 (with a 1969 engine) and also
installed an oil line to the head. Since then, I've noticed an oil
leak around the head gasket, on the left (driver's) side of the engine
but primarily in the rear of the engine. This could possibly be
because the wind under thehood when driving is blowing the oil to the
rear of the engine.

It's not the valve cover gasket and it's not the oil line to the head
that is leaking as the leak is below those points. Most of the leak
appears to be at the rear of the engine, again from around the head
gasket, then drips (flows)to the transmission and then to the floor.
I've noticed more oil on the floor than is normal for my car since I
installed the oil line

The engine is not any less powerful than pre-rocker and oil line, runs
smoothly and very cool so I'm ruling out a blown head gasket. I've
experienced those before in other cars so I know the symptoms.
Everything on the head is tight, and there is no water and oil in the
sump.

The more I've thought about it, the more I think the problem surfaced
when I installed the oil line.

Tomorrow I'm going to remove the oil line and replace the plug and see
if that helps, which I suspect will elimiinate the leak.

But, does anyone know why oil might be leaking from between the head
and the block, or has anyone else experienced this? Are there major
problems now, or any ahead?

Thanks for the help.

Jerry Greenberg
1976 TR6