Re: Strange Oil Leak

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Strange Oil Leak
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 00:29:47 -0000
Hi Jerry
The problem you have is that you have increased the flow to the top of the
engine, and in doing so you have increased the pressure at the head gasket
joint where the oil way goes through. The oil will go down as well as up!
The oil flow and therefore pressure is normally regulated by the flat on the
camshaft, oil can only flow to the head when the flat connects the two bits
of the gallery, the rest of the time the cam journal acts as a blockage in
the line. By feeding a full flow of oil to the top you have increased the
pressure at the head gasket, there is a hole in the gasket with a sealed
edge for the oil to pass through, this is often the first place to show
signs of leakage without the extra pressure! Net result is you need a new
head gasket as the chances are that it will continue to leak even if you
undo the conversion as there is now a path out for the oil.

Graham.