Re: tr6 electric fan conversion

To: Ed Quinn <equinn@airtreatment.com>
Subject: Re: tr6 electric fan conversion
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:01:25 -0700
Cc: "'Randall'" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, autoX-Trumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I'm getting into this discussion rather late and don't know what has been
stated earlier.  So at the risk of repeating (or making a fool of myself),
I'll speak to the matter from my personal experiences (two Spitfire electric
fan installations).

First of all, the two kits I bought both had a switch with a built in lamp and
3 terminals.  The center terminal goes to the positive wire on the
fan.  One of the outside two terminals (I can't recall which, but it probably
makes a difference) goes to ground while the other end terminal is
connected to power source.  Connecting it incorrectly will not let the lamp
operate properly.

The other fan wire is connected to ground.

Another alternative method is to connect the lead that would normally go to the
hot side of the fan (center connector) to a relay coil and attach the
other side of the relay's coil to ground.  The relay contacts are wired as
follows:

The common contact is attached to a voltage source.
the contact that is closed when the relay is actuated, is connected to the
fan's hot terminal and the other side of the fan is connected to ground.
Fuses can be added in both sides of the circuit if desired.  The switch circuit
should be a minimum size (Perhaps an amp), because very little current
flows in this side of the system.  A fuse in the fan side of the system would
depend on the current draw of the fan.  Typically 20 amps is
sufficient.  Make sure the wires chosen for the system are rated for the
current requirement of the fan and fuse.

I know of no reason to need a diode in the circuit.

Fan rotation may be changed by one of two methods (depending on the particular
fan.

1. Since DC fans run in the direction of the current flow, reversing the wiring
will change the direction of rotation.
2. Some (if not most) of these fans have a reversible blade assembly that can
be removed and turned around to change a "sucker" to a "blower".  Check
the fan's instruction sheet for notes on this possibility.

That's my story and I'm stickin'' to it!!!

Regards,
Joe Curry