Re: TR3 V8 Conversion

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>, <greenman62@hotmail.com>, <pethier@isd.net>, <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 V8 Conversion
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:11:51 -0400
Dan Masters wrote:

> No, I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. No brake improvements are
required
> to account for the extra power. If the brakes are adequate to stop the car
> from all reasonable speeds now, they will be adequate to stop the car from
> all reasonable speeds with the V8 installed. If the brakes are not
adequate
> now, then I have no business driving it as it is. The braking force
required
> to stop a car depends on only two things - weight and speed. The car won't
> weigh more, and it will not be going any faster.

I think I agrued this with Dan once before, and I still don't agree with
him.  He is correct however, if you're going the same speed in a car that
weighs 2000lb, and then install a V8 and retain the same weight and drive
the same speed; then you will not need any brake improvements.

Where Dan is wrong though, is that the V8 does provide you with extra power
and torque and you will then reach said speed more quickly than in a stock
powered car.  The quickness is related to acceleration and the quicker you
able to accelerate the more force your car is carrying and the more braking
force is required to stop it.  This is where Dan is mistaken.

After all you have to be installing a V8 for some reason?  If it isn't to go
faster it is then to go quicker... or you just want to be cool, in which
case you'll still be going at least quicker if not faster.  But then again
maybe Newton's Second Law of Motion doesn't apply to Dan's V8 ;-)

Kai