Re: TR3 V8 Conversion

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>, <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 V8 Conversion
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:09:59 -0500
>A Chevy will fit, but it's tight. A Ford 302 is a better choice, as it's
>narrower and a lot lighter.

Carroll Shelby knew that.  He didn't use the Ford engine because he was a
Ford fan.  He used it because it was narrower.  Worked for Griffith, too.

My personal take is that if my TR4 4-banger lost the battle with time and I
wanted more power, I would opt for some sort of modern DOHC 4-banger with
fuel injection.  The Toyota 2000cc engine gets good press for such use.  I
know that it has found its way into Lotus cars and replicas thereof as a
replacement for the Lotus-Ford 1600cc twink so I'd think it would fit.

More power might be on tap with the RX7 engine, but I think the 4-banger
sound is an essential part of the TR4 experience, and the "D-O-4"
configuration is not foreign to British roadsters.

V8 engines, with the exception of the Buick-Olds-Rover aluminum unit, would
take too much away from proper mass distribution for proper sports-car
handling for my taste.

Daughter Amanda has presented us with a second grandchild.  Sirena Mae
Stremski
arrived on the first day of Spring 2001, weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces.