RE: TR6 Aftermarket Wheels Identification

To: "'ZinkZ10C@aol.com '" <ZinkZ10C@aol.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 Aftermarket Wheels Identification
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 02:26:32 -0600
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
With regard to the Great Mag Wheel Massacre, Harold wrote:

>The flame would have to be very hot and
>large in volume to ignite a solid piece
>of mag.  At this point, whatever is near
>by would be long gone before the mag starts burning.

>Mag shavings on the other hand are very combustibale.

All quite true - you can't set a wheel on fire with a match. But a gasoline
fire fed by a broken fuel line or a ruptured fuel tank can. I've seen it
happen.

Admittedly an unlikely circumstance outside of a racing accident, so perhaps
I shouldn't have mentioned it. The danger of hidden cracks in aging wheels
is of far more practical concern.

Jim Hill
Madison WI