RE: TR6 Aftermarket Wheels Identification

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Aftermarket Wheels Identification
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 00:16:18 -0800
The wheels on your car were definitely a dealer option for the TR4A. They
are listed on dealer price list I have (I'll have to dig it out and see what
they cost). They were wider as allowed by SCCA GCR at the time and of course
lighter. Kastner discusses them in the Competition Preparation Manual. They
are 3 lbs. lighter than steel disk wheels and 7 lbs. lighter than wire
wheels. He lists a part number of V387 for them. A copy of the Competition
Preparation Manual is in the back of the Bentley manual if you have one.

The spokes should be unpainted although many of them are to avoid further
corrosion.

The center of the wheel should have a thread and a special hollow eared
knock off is used. I bought my car with a set of these wheels. I have two
identical spare wheels cast in aluminum as well. I have a set of the 'Coke
bottle' aluminum wheels that (I think) were a TR250 option for my TR4 Race
Car.

I have seen virtual copies without the threaded center on all kinds of cars.
I have not seen the threaded, magnesium wheels on any other car.

Hope that helps!

Brad
65 TR4A IRS
Hi,

I have magnesium wheels on my TR4. I beleive them to be Dealer Installed
"original" to a TR4A, not my TR4 though as mine was a wire wheel car.

For those with the knowledge, take a look at these pictures. I would like to
have more input on this.

http://www.sltoa.org/members/Allgood/tr4morepictures.htm

Thanks,

Gary