re: Cleaning Fuel Tank

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Cleaning Fuel Tank
From: "William Hooper" <rotoflex@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 18:48:57 GMT
Cleaning the interior of the tank with muriatic acid may have contributed to
the returning rust.  You must completely neutralize muriatic acid, or it
will begin a lifetime project of rusting away whatever steel it has touched.

I once painted a room containing a theater organ blower; the cement surfaces
had to first be scrubbed with muriatic acid.  I scrupulously avoided getting
the muriatic acid on metal parts such as conduit, disconnects, etc.  Even
after washing these metal surfaces with soap & water, enough of the muriatic
acid *from the fumes* remained to begin the rusting process through enamel
paint, galvanized coatings, etc.

Original message follows:

     I recently redid my fuel tank for my 1960 TR-3A. For the inside, I
blocked off the openings and poured in several rinses of muriatic acid (wear
proper safety protection). After that, I followed up immediately with
several rinses with lacquer thinner. If you rinse with water, you get
immediate rust. After that, I poured in some tank slushing compound that I
got from MOSS.