TR rust and removing woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR rust and removing woes
From: V8TR4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:55:40 EDT
Hi,

I have a TR4 hood I acquired and it has some surface rust. Once I started to
sand it off I found that there was some considerable pitting. It doesn't look
so much like rust, but rather dark blackish stains in the metal. I attempted
to sand the spots away and found I was going nowhere. I now have used a
wirewheel connected to my drill, it worked much better but there is still
some staining in the pits. I tried some Naval Jelly and it highlighted the
remaining rust spots, but I'm not secure that the rust is gone till it looks
clean. Besides sanding away all the metal what are some other ideas? How good
is the naval jelly type products in removing the rust? I don't want to have
the rust return under the new paint job.

thanx

(if you have seen this post from a different name sorry, I am having a
problem posting to the list with my netzero account)