Re: Removing Transmission tail housing (TR4)

To: ARhodes@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Removing Transmission tail housing (TR4)
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 19:00:17 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
ARhodes@compuserve.com writes:

<< Is the bearing supposed to come out with the output shaft?  I thought
 it was supposed to stay in the housing until removed individually.

 I thought the puller device was a "nice" enhancement, and it seems
 that some people have had luck with the Haynes "bash it off" technique.
 I sure have not.  I had a wimpy puller of sorts that I got to work trying
 to move the tail shaft.  No good.  It was not strong enough and just wanted
 to bend.  It was not very strong to start with.

 I sure am not having luck with the bashing technique. >>

I have disassembled a few g-boxes in my time and I have never had the rear
brg stay on the mainshaft. I remember having some trouble getting these
things off but not the sort you describe. Of course I almost NEVER had any
intention of using the mainshaft or tail extension again (converted to OD)
and was perhaps a little more abusive than normal. I will offer the following
suggestion though, try cutting some wood wedges (shims) and drive these into
the joint opened so far. You should be able to get a lot of push on the thing
without marring the surfaces in this way. Use 3-4 shims and drive each one in
a little at a time.
Hope this helps.
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A