Re: Removing Transmission tail housing (TR4)

To: "Tony Rhodes" <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Removing Transmission tail housing (TR4)
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 10:27:20 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Tony,

You will need a brass head hammer, brass drift set and a good sized rubber
mallet to work on the transmission.  You will damage the shaft or casings
using a steel hammer.

Follow the Haynes step-by-step.   I used a rubber mallet... whacking real
hard on the "wings" of the tailshaft casing. Takes a long time.   During
the rebuild I must have done this 3  times.  I would get it all back
together and notice that something was backwards or not right.

What you are doing is backing the rear bearing of the end of the shaft
using the casing as an adapter.   A puller would be the tool of choice but
I don't know where to get such huge puller.

There is one gotcha in the Haynes procedures.  They tell you to whack on
the end of the shaft to push the big roller bearing (the one in the back of
the main case) forward.  If you do this and you are not REAL careful you
can damage the teeth on one of the gears still mounted on the front of the
shaft.  The layshaft gears can make contact with the drive gears while your
whacking away and bad things happen. Put a piece of plastic or wood in
between to keep the front of the main shaft up and away from the layshaft

BTW,  take pictures of the gears and everything else as you disassemble....
and take notes about the orientation of everything as it comes out.  I put
the 1st/reverse gear in backwards the first time.  The Haynes pictures are
very dark and small.

The circlip removal is a tricky task.  You must buy a new one anyway so
just destroy the old one if you have to.  Save it... so you can make a test
spacer from it by cutting it to a half circle.  It is used when you are
checking the clearances between the bushes.

I bought 2 circlip pliers.... one from NAPA that has 4 different heads....
and another from Sears Craftsman.  The Sears one is bigger and better for
the thick circlip on the end of the mainshaft.

Good luck.... just be methodical, keep clear notes and pictures and keep
very close attention to the Haynes instructions

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/Home.html (Big Update on 6/13/99)