Re: Removing Transmission tail housing (TR4)

To: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: Removing Transmission tail housing (TR4)
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:51:38 -0400
Message text written by "Brian Sanborn"
>Follow the Haynes step-by-step.   I used a rubber mallet... whacking real
>hard on the "wings" of the tailshaft casing. Takes a long time.   During
>the rebuild I must have done this 3  times.  I would get it all back
>together and notice that something was backwards or not right.
<

Still no luck on getting it off.  I have a BFRH (R for Rubber), but it did not
budge.  The tail housing moved about 3/8" rearward and stopped there.  The
strange broken metal fragment is from the "keeper plate" holding the
countershaft.  That needs replacement.  I really whacked the ears of the
tail housing.  After whacking, I found that the gears would not spin anymore,
and then traced it down to the fact that the entire shaft was moving to the
rear with the housing.  I then pushed the shaft back where is is supposed
to be, and I lost 1/4" of the 3/8" of total tail housing motion.

I am really hitting it hard.  I even installed long studs in the bolt holes
to keep the tail housing lined up properly.  No good.

It almost seems like there IS a circlip hiding somewhere I can't see retaining
the tail housing on the tailshaft, as the Haynes manaul says there is (but
no diagram shows).  I am about to give up and go to a pro for this and
other "special" maneuvers remove the tough parts.  Then I can do the rest.

The synchros look OK, the gear teeth are OK, the 2-3 end float is way high.
Seems like a standard refurbishing job.  May not even need some of the
expensive synchro rings/hubs, just bushings and bearings.  The ball bearings
at the ends seem fine too....

-Tony (with sore wrists from bashing the transmission)