Re: Removing Transmission tail housing (TR4)

To: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: Removing Transmission tail housing (TR4)
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 14:25:23 -0400
Message text written by Cliff Hansen
>My advice is to make up a puller and see if some tension will
>break it loose.  It looks like a simple two-arm puller, each arm
>clamps onto the ridges extending from the sides of the extension
>housing.

>Now that I've looked at it, I'll be really interested in your solution.<

The Haynes manual shows a circlip (Fig 6.3, pg 128, item#35) that the text
says to remove after removing the flange, but the diagram makes it look
like it is on the inside side of the bearing.  I see no circlip to be removed
and
my ever trusted mechanic and triumph bailer-outer says there is no circlip
either.  I wonder what Haynes was thinking????

I have hammered pretty hard on the tail housing and only got about 3/8" travel.
It will not go further.  I think I may well need a puller.  It ought to be less
dramatic than hammering.

I'd have to buy some sort of puller as I have none.

I got a disturbing fragment of metal to fall out of the transmission as I
separated the tail housing a little.  A curved 1/2" wide section of something.
It seems to have broken through a hole.  It also seems to have been pinched hard
somehow.  Sort of looks like a fragment of a bearing race.  All bearings seem
to move smoothly.  Seems to have come out of the tail shaft, but who knows?

I will report my success in removing the tail housing! (hopefully)

-Tony