Time For New Rings?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Time For New Rings?
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:15:25 -0500
Cc: clarkm@oit.edu
>Well, the Tiggermobile (1963 TR-4) has finally let me down - it's just
>not running right, with poor idle and low power.  I adjusted the valves
>and then did a compression test with the following results:
>
>Cylinder        Test 1        Test 2
 > 1              165           173
>  2              173           190
 > 3              170           185
>  4              180           230

>Test 1 was dry, test 2 was after the addition of oil to each cylinder
>before the test.
>
>1) I assume I need new rings - sound reasonable?  Anything else I should
>do before I take things apart to make sure?
>
>2) Suggestions on what else to do while I'm in there?  New head gasket, of
>course, and manifold gaskets, and other gaskets as needed.

Mike, a couple of questions first:  Is your car using a lot of oil, I mean a
quart every couple hundred miles?  Is oil blowing out the rear seal under high
rpm's?   These are indications of blow by cased by bad rings.   Did you do the
above tests with engine cold or hot?  If cold, they don't look too bad.  If hot,
time for new rings.  To me (if cold tests), the above figures show "some" wear,
but I really don't think they are so bad as to have very noticable loss of power
and idle.  My TR-3 was down to 110 - 125 psi before I noticed power loss and
idle never did get bad.  I would suspect timing problems or (less likely) carbs.
A bad condensor (capacitor) in your dizzy will cause lots of power-related
problems, as will timing mis-adjusted.  Check also your vacuum advance for
operation. I will say this, when I replaced my pistons and liners with 87mm, I
noticed BIG power improvements!
Regards,
Richard