Time For New Rings?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Time For New Rings?
From: Mark Clark <clarkm@oit.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 12:43:00 -0700 (PDT)
  Well, the Tiggermobile (1963 TR-4) has finally let me down - it's just
not running right, with poor idle and low power.  I adjusted the valves
and then did a compression test with the following results:

Cylinder        Test 1        Test 2
  1              165           173
  2              173           190
  3              170           185
  4              180           230

Test 1 was dry, test 2 was after the addition of oil to each cylinder
before the test.

1) I assume I need new rings - sound reasonable?  Anything else I should
do before I take things apart to make sure?

2) Suggestions on what else to do while I'm in there?  New head gasket, of
course, and manifold gaskets, and other gaskets as needed.

Thanks much!

Dr. Mark Clark
Oregon Institute of Technology