re: Trip out west - I'm back

To: <jaltman@altlaw.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Trip out west - I'm back
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 99 8:00:27 -0600
Jim,
        I'm suprised the Traffic bothered you that much. After having
personally experienced Atlanta traffic
on the perimeter highways. That was about four years ago and I know Atlanta
has grown since then.

  Hope you had a good trip though.

Shawn
-------------
Original Text
From: <jaltman@altlaw.com>, on 6/27/1999 3:00 PM:
I am back. First of all, let me apologize to the kind folks who sent me
contact information with whom I never got in touch.  As it turned out
during
the course of the trip, most of you are in urban areas, and as we
approached
each urban area it was either an unreasonable hour or my son and I were so
aghast at the traffic and confusion that we kept right on going.

For example we arrived in Denver at about noon two Mondays ago and traffic
was so bad we made our turn onto I-25 and kept right on going up into Rocky
Mountain National Park and didn't emerge for three days.

We did 5000 miles in about 2 and a half weeks.  Unfortunately, almost no
internet access, once in Aspen.  The only car problems was a sticky float
valve in Glenwood Springs, CO.  Sat in a Harley-Davidson dealer's parking
lot and took the carb apart, blew out the needle valve, reassembled and all
was well. My front seal on the tranny was also leaking and so we stopped
twice and refilled the tranny to keep it from running dry.  Now I guess
I'll
have to pull it and fix it.

On seeking a place to fill the tranny in Estes Park, CO. I ran into a guy
who had his "Certified Mechanic" diplomas hanging on the wall for Austin,
Morris and Riley.  He was thrilled to have a Triumph spontaneously pull-in
seeking assistance.  Neat guy and we spent a bit of time just visiting.

Only saw two other LBC's the whole time, one MGB between Mesa Verde and
Cortez, CO. and a Midget in Alabama approaching Birmingham.

Our visit to the front range in Colorado was very wet and cold, but once
out
in the western portion of the state it was top down all the way.  Arizona
and New Mexico would have been intolerable without the A/C.

The southern plains were hot and rainy.  Worst roads were definitely in
Arkansas.

We had a wonderful time, saw the mountains, Dinosaur National Monument,
Mesa
Verde, Grand Canyon, Independence Pass, and Four Corners (not necessarily
in
that order).

Thanks again for all your kind offers, we had a wonderful trip. Grateful to
be home, but a wonderful trip.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK