Re: Time For New Rings?

To: "Mark Clark" <clarkm@oit.edu>, " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Time For New Rings?
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 99 18:41:16 -0700

>  Well, the Tiggermobile (1963 TR-4) has finally let me down - it's just
>not running right, with poor idle and low power.  I adjusted the valves
>and then did a compression test with the following results:
>
>Cylinder        Test 1        Test 2
>  1              165           173
>  2              173           190
>  3              170           185
>  4              180           230

With those numbers I would tune it up and keep driving.  But if you want
everything newish you could swap in a new set of rings.  Be sure to
measure the pistons for wear as well.

You will want to do a valve job while the head is off and replace the rod
bearings as well since they will be appart.

But seriously the compression looks a little ragged but the engine should
still pull well.  Check the SUs for leaking at the throttle shaft, the
vacume advance diapram, and just do a general tune up.

                        overlander.net
  Helps you find:
       Parts & service for your Land Rover and Ranger Rover
            vehicle related expedition equipment
events, books, reviews, special hard to find products and more!