Re: Time For New Rings?

To: clarkm@oit.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Time For New Rings?
From: CaptGonzo@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 19:13:30 EDT
Dr, Mark,

I don't think your test indicates a need for new rings. Test 1 (dry)
indicated a less than 10% variance from the highest reading. That's right in
the ballpark for a decent (if not perfect) engine. Usually, the wet test is
only done after a car fails the dry test. If there's good improvement with
the wet test, it indicates that you need new rings, rather than a valve job.
The larger variations after you added the oil are probably due to variances
in the amount of oil added....

In short, 165-170-173-180 is a very good reading for a TR!

I would look for something else -- like a carburation or ignition problem.
Really!

Good luck!

Chris L.
'66 TR4A