Re: oil filter

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil filter
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 18:57:01 -0700
I saw a show once(Dateline, Sixty Minutes, I cant remember) and they cited the
study Arthur refers was their take on the 3K oil change. In the study the 6K
oil change was observed and the study found no difference in engine wear(no
matter what oil was used). IMHO(a shoot from the hip idea really),30 years ago
the formulations were such that many oils had a high content of parafins and
thus sludge was a problem. Thus, the guy who changed his oil more regularly won
the sludge game.  Now days, the formulas are such that the sludge is not so
much of a factor(IMHO). You can read the Redline oil breakdown on oils of the
world but I think a good 20w50 oil should easily get you 6-7k miles down the
road.

Besides, by the time you've got that many miles under your belt the car has
leaked out 3/4 of it on the ground and you've inadvertently changed your oil
interim ;-)